Thursday, March 29, 2012

Jeff, prosecuted as an adult at age 17 and currently incarcerated in Colorado, writes

Jeff, prosecuted as an adult at age 17 and currently incarcerated in Colorado, writes:

“I was 17 years old when I was charged as an adult…that was in 1994 and here I sit today…I feel like the system has forgotten about me. Yet, I still believe in the system and hope that we can change and fix its problems - the biggest of which is sentencing children as adults. [Children] can’t join the military, vote, drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes, or live on their own…because they are not responsible enough. [However], when it comes to dealing with the system, there is an exception for some reason…We have a juvenile system for a reason, why do we pick and choose who we use it for?”

No comments:

Post a Comment