Sunday, June 19, 2011

I Don’t Wish Nobody to Have a Life Like Mine

I Don’t Wish Nobody to Have a Life Like Mine: Tales of Kids in Adult Lockup (Beacon Press) is a collection of sketches of some of the locked away teenagers I taught over my ten years working in an adult county prison. My writing has appeared in the New York Times, Mother Jones and Education Next as well as many literary and scholarly journals and anthologies. I am a regular contributor on education and criminal justice for Huffington Post and Daily Kos.

I have done readings and led discussions on juvenile justice and kids at risk at community gatherings, libraries and churches as well at professional conferences. I have also spoken in various college and university classes on a wide variety of topics in the field of criminal justice and education. I am available for readings and for speaking engagements on these important topics. I can be contacted at davidchura2@gmail.com.

“I Don’t Wish Nobody to Have a Life Like Mine: Kids in Adult Loockup” Receives Award and Recognition
I Don’t Wish Nobody to Have a Life Like Mine has won a 2010 PASS Award from the National Council on Crime and Delinquency. The award is given to works that focus “America’s attention on the complex problems of the criminal and juvenile justice systems and child welfare.” The Council itself does important advocacy work and I appreciate their recognition.

No comments:

Post a Comment